Having a social media presence is now more important than ever for businesses and brands who want to gain exposure and become known. But, just like anything, there’s a right and wrong way to do it. Social media can be overwhelming if you don’t have a plan, but the good news is that it’s not as complicated as we all make it seem. Social media is an ever-changing force and we all wish that there was a simple set of steps to take and be good to go, but that’s not the case and this is where having a social media strategy comes in!
What is a Social Media Strategy?
Before I get into why you need a social media strategy we need to get into what a social media strategy is.
Basically, a social media strategy is a guide of how you and your team will use social media to effectively communicate with your target audience and meet your business goals. It goes over what platforms you will be using, how often you’ll be posting, the type of content you’ll be posting and more. When you create your social media strategy you will outline the goals and objectives you want to accomplish for your brand or business and how you are going to use social media as a tool to achieve these goals.
Keep in mind that having a social media strategy is not something that is just for large businesses with a social team, but it’s also just as important for freelancers, bloggers, and influencers. Having a social media strategy in place can benefit anyone and everyone!
Now that you have a better idea of what a social media strategy is let’s get into why you need a social media strategy.
Why Do You Need a Social Media Strategy?
- This is where your target audience is spending a LOT of their time. If your audience is there, you need to be too! Believe it or not according to a recent study “people in the US check their Facebook, Twitter, and social media accounts a staggering 17 times a day, meaning at least once every waking hour, if not more.
- You can see up to 150% or more return on investment! You should treat social media as every other part of your business. Forbes reported a 95% return on investment, and 30% of those polled saw more than 150%.
- You’ll be able to stay competitive! One of the most common mistakes made on social media is that brands try to have a presence on all platforms, rather than focusing on building a solid presence on a select few. Not only is this exhausting, but it can be time-consuming! For example, Pinterest is all about the visuals, whereas Twitter is more geared toward short snippets of written information. When you find what platform works best for you and supports the type of content you offer, this will give you a competitive edge!
- Build a strong presence for your brand! Think of your social media like a portfolio for your brand–it can be a great tool when you’re reaching out for partnerships and collaborations. When companies see that you have a loyal, engaged audience and are producing high-quality content, it’s highly likely that they’ll want to partner with you, which will only give your brand more exposure!
- Expose yourself to hundreds of potential new leads! If you went to a networking event every single day it would be impossible to introduce yourself to the same amount of people that social media allows. Social media does all the work for of multiple networking events for you!
- Convert your leads to sales even faster than before! Social media allows for your leads to get to know you. Over time this builds trust, trust is the main factor in turning a blind lead into a hot lead that is ready to buy from you. If you aren’t on social media then you are letting potential money go to waste.
Overall, social media is a great way to build brand awareness. When you go about it with the right strategy in place, the possibilities for growth and sales are endless!